It was a sunny day in the city of Leiria. I was out for a walk, something I like to do between appointments.
Leiria has a river running through it, and many people, runners and walkers alike, regularly exercise along its banks. Myself included.
That particular day, I was with a friend. We were having a lovely chat, relaxing as we walked along the riverside.
Suddenly, the two of us screamed at the same time, a long, drawn-out scream, and froze on the spot. Everyone nearby stopped and turned to look, trying to figure out what had caused such a scare.
We didn't know whether to run or keep walking, because right in front of us was a huge rat, crossing the path from the car park toward the riverbank.
As we screamed, the rat also stopped, and just stared back at us. For a second, nobody moved, not even the rat.
Then it darted toward the riverbank, the people around us laughed, and so did we.
It was a rather comical scene, the kind only two women can pull off.
